Monday, May 7, 2012

Music Monday: Life Goes On

Seeing Snoop Dog and Dr. Dre at Coachella brought back a flood of memories from my childhood for me. At some point Snoop ask the crowd who had been listening to him and Dre for 20 years and the crowd went while - nevermind that half the people there were 18. As a kind growing up in the inner city, I was probably one of the only people who could have said I actually did listen to Dre and Snoop 20 years ago, even though I don't really any more. All of the old West coast rappers were there (Korrupt? Oh my god, I hadn't heard the name in years), plus that infamous 2pac hologram. It was as if a part of my brain I hadn't heard or used in years suddenly went off. 2pac was my idol. I remember listening to this song shortly after he died and crying. I remember being pep talked in school alongside my classmates the day after he died. I remember hearing the announcement on the radio that he was dead. I remember having his photos in my locker. I remember using September 13, 1996 as a marker in my life for many years. Anyway, don't mean to get all sentimental on you guys. I guess I just miss being a kid and that early 90s hip hop culture. I need to make myself an early 90s hip hop playlist!

No comments:

Post a Comment