Tuesday, May 8, 2012

033: Faux-chella



Photobucket

Dress worn as duster - Free People, Dress - Vintage, Necklace - Gorjana c/o, bag - Vintage Coach, Sunnies -Ray-Ban

Okay, so I know you're probably thinking "Why is this girl still talk about Coachella?" but hear me out! This was my original outfit for Coachella day 1 that I didn't really get to wear. The thing about all those Coachella outfit guides is that they don't really take into account how hot it is at Coachella. I mean they do a little, but not enough. It's usually over 100 degrees out there. This means that no matter how much you love fashion, you want to be as close to naked as possible out there. I think I'll make a REAL Coachella dressing guide next year, but a few common ideas that people tout around that don't work in reality are:
  1. Hats. Sure they block you from the sun, but they also warm your head and its hard to see if they have a wide brim. Also, come nightfall you really won't want to wear it anymore, and then you'll be stuck wearing it. A lot of those big, black floppy hats are made of wool...not good for the heat.
  2. Boots. I can't believe how many guides suggest boots and how many people wear them. When its 100 plus degrees, your feet will scream bloody murder if you wear anything besides sandals. The trade off of course is dirty feet and the possibility of being stepped on. Believe me, it's worth it.
  3. Jewelry. True story: At Pitchfork last year, the two necklaces I was wearing started to react with my sweat. My neck became itchy and before I knew it, the color of both had rubbed off onto my skin. Even if dainty, metal doesn't feel good against sweaty skin.
  4. Layers of any kind. As I said above, you will want to be as close to naked as possible.You will be so hot fashion flies out the window. I don't think its easy to fathom 104 degrees when you're in a nicer climate, even if you have experienced it before. You just won't remember.
That said, I obviously didn't actually wear this to Coachella day 1. I have been to Coachella before so I thought I packed appropriately, but as I said in point #4, I just couldn't really fathom the heat from where I live. As soon as I arrived to the town of Indio I rapidly had to change my wardrobe plan. I don't care. I had an amazing time as I outlined here.

Anyway, next time I'll do better. Still, I really liked this pattern-clashing outfit I had planned. I mean what goes better with leopard than floral?

2 comments:

  1. I just found your blog through Chictopia (fallowing you now), and I really like your unique style and realistic take for fashion. It is very easy to find blogs about what is trendy, the "It" designer brands/bags I have, etc etc. But what it is difficult to find.. are the blogs that project individuality. Those are the one to me more inspiring. Everyone can be fashionable, but not everyone can be stylish.
    Mysmallwardrobe.com

    July 16, 2012 9:08 AM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carelia, Gosh, thanks for such a sweet comment...I don't even know what to say! I agree with you, these days, a lot of blogs just perpetuate the same idea of fashion, whereas personal style blogging originated in order to show personality, not to encourage more uniformity. Glad to have found a like mind!

      Delete