Tuesday, February 21, 2012

015 Please Call Me Princess Sparkly Cupcake








Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
Shirt - Audrey via Crossroads, Skirt - vintage via Crossroads, Necklace - JCPenney, Shoes - Calvin Klein, Bag - vintage Coach, Sunglasses - Ray-Ban, Watch - vintage Timex, Belt - Forever21

Spring hasn't quite sprung yet but I say force it! I've been so engrossed in my coats and sweaters that the faintest glimmer of warmth and sunshine propelled me to pull out my pastels and florals, and then I proceeded to wear them together. This top and skirt were both Crossroads finds that I absolutely adore! The skirt makes me feel like a sweet little girl and a princess at the same time, and the sheer floral shirt with slit sleeves has inspired numerous outfits I can't wait to wear. It made for such a feminine, flirty outfit I (jokingly) (well, sort of) wanted to be called Princess Sparkly Cupcake for the whole day. The necklace and glitter belt helped, but I wish I had those Kate Spade Angelique sunglasses I was raving about...I feel that they would have gone perfectly with this outfit. And the Pour La Victoire metallic patent bag. Oh the things we want but can't have.

*******


Sort of off topic, but have you ever thought about personal style, and why yours is yours? 
When I was a child and went to Egypt for the first time, I was shocked at what the buildings looked like. Everything was apartment buildings, and most of them lacked color. Around the airport, they were mostly gray and looked barren and cold. Sidewalks are a foot high, streets range from freeway width to too narrow for a car. I guess I was expecting it to look like America, but the amazing thing about man is that, in each place in the world, he saw his canvas differently. In theory, cities across the globe could have been built the same, but they weren't. It's amazing, if you think about it, isn't it? Each man is his own artist, and they all have different visions, even if the canvas is just as blank across the globe.

I think dressing yourself if quite similar. True, there will always be outside influences that will tell you what's hot, what's not, and if you hear "Neon is in!" enough times you will probably start to believe it. But if that were all fashion is, we'd literally all look the same, and clearly we don't. The reason is personal style. The way I style a shirt or a skirt may look ridiculous to you, but to me it seems completely natural, and I'm sure I might find the way you'd style the same skirt as equally ridiculous. Even in dressing, people have different visions - because dressing your body is much like painting on a blank canvas. You can make it look like whatever you want it to, and tomorrow, you get a new one to paint all over again. You can paint it in a similar manner or do something totally different.

When I see myself in slow motion, attempting to envision myself as an outsider, I wonder if people think I take fashion or clothing too seriously. My friends all come to me for fashion advice with is both flattering and slightly disturbing at the same time. But the way I see it is that I'm just a girl who loves getting dressed in the morning, because I try to do it as creatively as possible. I sincerely love it. Not because I'm a materialistic person, but because I find it to be an artistic outlet, one in which I can exercise my artistic nature. Whether we like it or not, the world at least partially sees us as the way we dress, and how the world sees us actually effects who we are. If that's the case, I'd like to be someone different every day.

3 comments:

  1. love ur outfit!!
    i follow u! follow back?
    xx

    www.themidniteblues.blogspot.com

    pd and I love janelle monae too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First non-friend comment and first follower. You actually made my day. Thank you!! I'll check out your blog now.

      Delete
  2. I love getting dressed in morning too. In fact I make ready my clothing from the previous night cause if I wait the last moment I won't be able to decide! :P
    Nice blog and I loved your outfit!!
    Following you:)

    accidentallyblogger.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete